Vaal Triangle residents warned to be aware of laws surrounding fireworks

VAAL TRIANGLE - Vaal Triangle residents who want to enjoy a display of fireworks as the New Year approaches, have been urged to be aware of the laws surrounding this controversial issue. The law reportedly states that no one may put on a fireworks display unless they have been authorised to do so by the Council, Civil Aviation Authority, and the Chief Inspector of Explosives. Should permission be granted, a pyrotechnics and a SAPS explosives expert must be present at all times. The Citizen reports applicants wishing to present a fireworks display must submit an application and a fee, to be authorised by the Chief Fire Officer, with proof that the display has been permitted by the Civil Aviation Authority, the Chief Inspector of Explosives and the property owner, and a sketch plan of the display. The application must reportedly be submitted to the Chief Fire Officer at least two weeks before the intended date of the display. No person may sell or make fireworks available unless they hold a fireworks licence in terms of the Explosives Act, as well as the written authority of the Chief Fire Officer. According to the report, transgressors face a R1,500 fine should they not comply. South African Police Service spokesperson Colonel Noxolo Kweza said the Gauteng police are ready to patrol all events related to the New Year. The NSPCA’s guide to pet owners emphasises that all animals must have identification. Make sure to get them microchipped with updated information. If pet owners are unable to stay home with their animals, it is advised that they be left inside in a room, preferably with high windows, cosy corners to hide and no hazardous objects. You can also opt to hire a pet sitter to stay with your animals. If your animals are especially sensitive to noise and fireworks, consult a veterinarian and get advice on possible medication that can be administered. PHOTO: (Supplied)

33 views0 comments